I hope you all have had a fabulous weekend. I have been exceptionally productive this weekend.
I have managed to get three assignments finished for my Study Skills class, as well as answering all the questions in my workbook for English Literature. I have also got my laundry baskets completely empty. All my laundry has been washed, dried, folded using the Konmari method and put away! I even found time to completely clean my kitchen, which leads me to why I am writing this post.
We have lived in our new home for three months now. It is a housing association house. I have been trying to find out how old the house actually is, but as of yet I have had no luck in finding a date. Regardless, I’m sure it has seen many families come and go over the years.
When we first got our keys I set about cleaning the place. I followed Mrs Hinch’s (head to instagram if you do not know who this lady is!) steps to cleaning my smelly sink u-bend, yet the smell remained. I repeated it at least once every couple of weeks and still there was no improvement.
Today I decided enough was enough. I got my fella to remove the stinking pipe from under the sink.
I just want to apologise for the photographs being so dark, it was a very spur of the moment job and natural daylight had well and truly disappeared.
I raided my cleaning cupboard for the products I thought would be most effective.
I selected Soda crystals, Stardrops White Vinegar, Zoflora (country garden), Astonish mould and mildew blaster and then I grabbed an old toothbrush and a cloth.
I knew my fella had been successful at removing the pipe when the smell hit me. I had never smelt something so bad before. It was thick with black, potent grime. I am so disappointed that I did not get a before picture. Would you believe I couldn’t even find a similar picture on the internet?! It was disgusting.
I threw it in an old washing up bowl and sprinkled a cup full of soda crystals inside the pipe. I then poured in a small amount of white vinegar and left it to fizz for a minute. I then tipped in a capful of Zoflora and poured in a kettle full of boiling water, topping it up with hot tap water so the whole pipe was submerged. I left it to soak for approximately fifteen minutes.
Meanwhile I grabbed my Astonish mould and mildew blaster and coated the pipes that were still attached to my sink in the product. Leaving it to soak in until after I had cleaned the pipe.
When the fifteen minutes were up, I was shocked to see so much black gunk floating in the bowl.
I inspected the pipe and while it was a little better, there was still stubborn marks in the base of the pipe. I poured in some more soda crystals and a bit of white vinegar, I then blocked both of the ends of the pipe and shook it vigorously.
After emptying the mixture, I then sprayed in some Astonish mould and mildew blaster directly into the pipe. I then grabbed my old toothbrush and scrubbed at all of the visible areas. I then took the rest of the pipe apart and continued to scrub with the toothbrush. Once I was satisfied it was as clean as it was going to get, I rinsed it throughly.
I was amazed by the results. It looks so much better now. Before my fella reconnected it, I used the toothbrush and cloth to wash off the Astonish spray off the pipes still connected to the sink. By the time I was finished and my fella had reconnected it, we were both amazed at how clean it looked. Also it smelt amazing in comparison.
So guys if you have a kitchen sink horror story of your own, invest in the mentioned products, in my opinion they work miracles!